Saturday, February 28, 2009

Coming out of the closet .....

This has been a really difficult week for me. We have had our Little Man on a waiting list to see a Child Neurologist for about FIVE months. Monday we were lucky enough to get a cancellation and went to see this Dr. and our little boy was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. We were told we would probably get this diagnosis from a few professionals that we deal with but I have to say that I think I was secretly hoping that the Dr. would tell us we were BONKERS and he was just a late bloomer and that we just needed to be patient. I have been slowly wrapping my brain around this (with much difficulty because when it comes RIGHT down to it-I really don't SEE the autism-I just see my beautiful, little, quirky boy.)

Anyway, the crying is over (I hope). My pity party has ended. Sorry I didn't send out invitations for this-I really couldn't deal with talking about it and NOTHING anyone could say was going to make me feel any better or less bitter. And I KNOW it's not the worse thing in the world that could happen to a family but this little guy is our EVERYTHING and I HATE to think he will ever have to struggle especially at such an early age.

Today is a new day though. We will be getting treatment and will do anything to help him flourish. I am sorry if I caused anyone to worry with my absence, I think I spotted my old self in the mirror this morning and am going to invite her back.

12 comments:

JJ Sobey said...

Oh Cin! I'm so sorry that you have to face this kind of a challenge. I know you must be freaked out.

You can handle this, and so can your Little Man. There's a lot more help out there now than there used to be.

Tina McDonald said...

Oh Sweetie!! Me heart goes out to you! You are right, there are much worse things, but THIS is what you are dealing with... and THIS is what you need to get a handel on. It's never easy to deal with things like this, but you can do it. You're a wonderful person and your little guy has all your attention... I know you'll do what's best for him and that he'll continue to be the wonderful little boy that he is!
((HUGS))

Amanda Winchester said...

I'm so happy that you are starting to feel better!! I'm glad you are back and just know that your friends are always here for you. You and M are fantastic parents and I'm sure that LM will lead a full and happy life with the two of you to guide him. I've always got your back too if you ever need ANYTHING! Hope we can get together soon!

Darlene D said...

I've missed your presence so much Cindy but glad to hear that you're feeling more like your old self. I'm sure that all will work out for you and your little man. Loving, caring and educated parents will be the most important thing that you can give him!

Marielle said...

Cin-Cin, sniff, I don't know what to say ! but glad your feeling better and that your back at it, I will never tire of seing that sweet little man's face on your gorgeous layouts, keep 'em coming...scrapbooking is a great therapy!!!
BIG {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Jenn Di Paolo said...

I must say I was wondering about you, I am glad to see you're back around. I think the fact that you say when you look at LM you see your beautiful, quirky boy is the the most amazing thing for him, because he can be just that. I hope your creativity can work as a great outlet for you. Take care.

Tracey Taylor said...

You have been on my mind often this past week. I am happy on many levels to read this post today.

You guys are going to work through this as a team. The more you learn about autism and what works for C, the easier all of this will become.

C is a happy, healthy young boy with a bright future. Keep your chin up and know that there are all kinds of people willing to help.

{{HUGS}}}

Janique said...

Hey girl,

You are strong gal and I'm happy to hear you finaly got the result and having those news means you both can move on. Living everyday with C is the best. He thinks the world of you and he has all he wants in life...your love and attention.
Keep doing what you do best...love him lots!!

J {{{HUGS}}}

Tanya said...

Hey baby... I too am happy that you are back and out of the closet. SO much frustration and torment not knowing full well what is happening. LM is IMO the luckiest little boy ever to have such a wonderful Mommy like you. Think of the progress he has made even before you really knew. I know you will find every single little thing that you can do to help him. I think about you and Mark and LM all the time. Hugs, T

Amanda Muirhead said...

Oh Cindy, I've been thinking of you and your LM. A huge ((Hug)) to you... you are a wonderful mom...LM is in the best hands possible.

bigsal said...

Cindy,
Glad your back, I miss your presence on the boards when you are away. Your LM is lucky to have such a great mom like you! {Hugs}

Natalie said...

i did not realise this !! i understand all too much what you are going thru. george was diangnosed at 2 and since getting help he has done soo well.

i wish you all the luck in the world and rememenber einstiend was autisic.
if you ever need somebody to talk to just shout out ok !!